Proud to be British
Established in 2010, YCW Suspension, in partnership with Swift Springs, is the accumulation of over 15 years experience in the performance suspension industry, with our roots stemming back to the mid 1990's and the then adolescent import market. Recognising the growth potential of what is now a multi-million dollar industry, and the lack of grassroots friendly manufacturers, our aim and reason for being is to offer a cost-efficient and new-age customer-orientated alternative to the more traditional performance suspension specialists.
What was once in the realm of high-profile racing teams and car manufacturers; and only a dream for the grassroots, is now available to the everyday consumer thanks to our Full-Service capabilities and Multi-National facilities in the United Kingdom (Head Office & European Market), United States (North American Market) and Hong Kong (Asia-Pacific Market). Our UK Head of Operations and Lead Engineer, Stephen Brindle, has extensive chassis dynamics experience gained while working with M-Sport and several other WRC Rally Teams.
In only a few short years, YCW Suspension has positioned itself as one of the leading global manufacturers and distributors of 100% Bespoke suspension solutions, with Swift Springs quickly establishing itself as the leader in performance coil springs. From initial contact, through to the final product, we have the knowledge and expertise to fulfill all of our clienteles requirements. What's more, unlike with our more traditional competitors, our clientele will not experience the drawbacks of communication and servicing commonly associated with third-party distributors; all of our first-line point of contacts, from sales to technical, are Western-Educated with fully fluent linguistical capabilities in English, French, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese. In short, YCW Suspension can offer you unparalleled expertise in Bespoke Chassis Development.
After countless hours of research into the various coilover setups currently available on the market, we noticed that there is a gap in the market for a mid-range
setup that is:
1) Designed and Engineered in the United Kingdom by British Engineers
2) Offers a 100% Bespoke solution, at an affordable price point
3) Offers premium features and technology that is applicable to real-world applications (and not just dedicated race vehicles)
4) Utilises premium quality service components (i.e Valving, Oil Seals, Damper Fluid, Bushings and Springs)
5) Offers local (North American, European and Asian) facilities for rebuild and servicing
Although there are a lot of mass-market (i.e budget) coilovers available, they are basically all the same/similar design (i.e generic) and have not changed over the past 15 years. Infact, the top selling mass-market Taiwanese Coilovers that are currently plaguing the market at the moment are all manufactured from the same technical drawings originating from BC Racing!
In this day and age, it is indeed very simple and cost effective to have basic structural components (i.e Hard Parts) manufactured from Aluminium or Steel. Provided basic manufacturing standards are adhered to, there is no difference in quality between an Aluminium or Steel component manufactured in the USA than one manufactured in Taiwan. Infact, the product manufactured in Taiwan is likely to be stronger due to it being Forged
(i.e mass-market), whereas most American companies will just machine directly from Billet (i.e limited quantities) due to simplicity and lower initial costs. Contrary to popular belief, Billet actually only refers to the shape of the stock that is being machined, and not the material itself. So-called Billet
components are inferior to their Forged
counterparts, despite the lower "per unit" cost of the Forged component. Steer clear of any manufacturer who tells you otherwise, as this shows a complete lack of metallurgic understanding. Acknowledging this, it is actually to the consumers benefit knowing that the hard parts of their coilover kit are manufactured mass-market in Taiwan.
Unfortunately, whilst the hard parts are often of sufficient quality, the nature of mass-market manufacturing often means poor quality service components being used (i.e Wear parts, such as Shims, Oil Seals, Damper Fluid, Bushings and Springs), a lack of proper quality control during damper assembly and, more importantly, a generic off-the-shelf Valving Profile that was not tuned for your specific vehicle parameters (See our Dyno Tuning
page for more details). For example, a 6K Valving Profile for a Honda Civic EP3 should NOT
be the same as a 6K Valving Profile for a BMW E92 335i. A lot of coilover manufacturers, including the budget & mid-range offerings from some of the top European & Japanese brands, will all use the same generic 6K Valving Profile between different vehicle applications. Why? Because either they lack the specialist equipment and knowledge required to custom-tune their dampers themselves, they are trying to keep development costs down, or their manufacturing is outsourced to a mass-market Taiwanese manufacturer (whom also lack the aforementioned).
1) Don't be overly concerned about whether Coilover A looks like Coilover B. High quality mass-market hard parts are a good thing, not bad
2) Research the design (not Aesthetics) and feature set, and whether it is applicable in a real-world application
3) Research the quality and brand of ALL service components being used. Coilover A may look like Coilover B, but can be completely different internally
4) Confirm the left/right Spring Rates are matched, and that all 4 corners supplied are as advertised
5) Confirm the Valving Profile of the dampers are for the vehicle in question, and not just a generic Valving Profile based on Spring Rate only
Of course, we fully understand that the majority of customers are budget constrained, and those who are not generally prioritise brand over value. It is because of this, we at YCW Suspension decided to design and manufacture a quality mid-range solution from scratch
that meets our #1 priority; Value for Money. Whilst there is a large demand for premium setups designed for the high-end race car, the aim with our mid-range Coilovers is to bring some of the more advanced real-world
features from the premium setups, incorporate them into a package suitable for the everyday street car, and offer a 100% Bespoke solution at an affordable price point without sacrificing on technical support and servicing. And so, YCW Suspension
Please do not compare our mid-range coilovers to the multitude of Taiwanese budget coilovers currently available as that is not our intended market segment, and our higher pricing reflects this. However, at only marginally more cost than a typical European/Japanese budget setup, you get a higher quality, better performing, British-Engineered, 100% Bespoke coilover solution with an industry-leading warranty
, unparalleled after-sales technical support and multi-national product servicing. Due to the nature of a customised product, we currently have a 1-2 week assembly lead time. None of the coilover kits we supply are off-the-shelf.
Asia-Pacific Facility: Final Assembly & Packing Room
- Multi-national Sourcing/Manufacturing
- Hard Parts (Mounts/Piston Rods/Damper Bodies): United Kingdom/Taiwan (in-house)
- Coil Springs: Tohatsu Spring Company (Swift), Japan
- Bushings: NSK, Japan
- Oil Seals: Viton, USA
- Valving: Sandvik, Sweden
- Lubricants: Silkolene, United Kingdom
- Multi-national Assembly
- All North American Coilovers are custom assembled at our 8000sqft San Dimas facility
- All European Coilovers are custom assembled at our 2500sqft Leyland facility
- All Rest-of-world Coilovers are custom assembled at our 6000sqft Hong Kong facility
YCW Reference Series Coilovers
- Multi-national Service Facilities
- North America: San Dimas, USA. Warranty Claims, Rebuild Services and Re-valving Services
- Europe: Leyland, United Kingdom. Warranty Claims, Rebuild Services, Re-valving Services and Corner-Weighing/Alignment Services
- Asia-Pacific: Hong Kong. Warranty Claims, Rebuild Services, Re-valving Services and Corner-Weighing/Alignment Services
- Spec'd for Superior Performance
- Priced for Affordability
- Over-Engineered for Comfort & Safety
- Proud to be British
A simple look at the advanced technology utilised in our Reference Series Coilovers will hopefully explain why our offering is not just another generic Taiwanese coilover! See the technology...